Sunday, March 10, 2013

project four - video emulation progress

Over the last week, I've carefully considered the assistance, location, and materials necessary to achieve an effective emulation of Cao Fei's Whose Utopia. Here is the progress I've made from the video selection (refer to 4/3/13 post) to present:

Materials:
  x3 strands of white lights 
  x3 plug-in clocks
  x1 camera 
  x1 tripod 
  x1 white attire 
  x1 black attire 
  x1 blindfold
  x2 extension cords

To-do list:
  acquire x1 plug-in clock
  acquire x1 extension cord
  solidify location
  learn basics of vixia
  coordinate with r. aker and m. huang for assistance
  record, 14/3/13
  edit
  upload/burn
  make cupcakes for owners of borrowed goods

One of the conflicts that I've faced was working with the lights as a knitted material. My largest needles weren't nearly thick enough to support the wiring of the lights (which were much stiffer than anticipated) and although knitting with baseball bats worked, it wasn't aesthetically pleasing. With this in mind, I'm planning on executing the knitted motions with my arms, but I'm going to have to do a recorded run through first to see if it's clean enough to be interpreted. If it looks like I'm wrapping myself up like a Christmas tree, my plan B is to braid the strands instead.

I realize now that I've adapted the video as inspiration, rather than recreating it. If time permits, I may add a segment that'll reel the direction of the video back towards the original performance, but we'll see. It may take away from the overall impression as opposed to contribute.

Side-note:

If I'm lucky, I'll find one of these guys hanging out on recording day~
If this happens, he'll be making a guest appearance in class~
Get excited~

No comments:

Post a Comment